Friday 5 May 2023

Old friends, great times

I’ve taken a few days to write up about this weekend because quite frankly I need to do it justice.  It was both medicinal and dare I say magical. It was the tonic I didn’t know I needed at the time I needed it most. I am still riding high on all the laughter, memories and endless conversation that took place over the long weekend where I slept so shockingly little. As someone who is very happy in her own company, this weekend proved I am even happier in the company of old, seen it all, never shocked, always supportive and brilliantly funny friends. Who knew… I certainly didn’t!  

The thing I remember most was the laughter. It never stopped. My jaw ached. Is this what we were like in our carefree days? I don’t remember laughing so much… Were we always this hilarious?! 

The first night we stayed up yapping and watching old episodes of Top of the Pops. Every song taking us down memory lane, strengthening and reinforcing the ties we already had. We laughed and joked and constantly put each other in our places. Only old friends can get away with that! We had heartfelt conversation too, over champagne this time because we are nearly 50! 


It was fun getting ready together, admiring outfits and wondering what shoes to wear. We had a mouth watering dinner at Coya, enjoying the club like ambience and watching the other diners like they were rare breeds. We couldn’t resist popping into Sass Cafe as we walked home. The place was heaving and we wanted a little dance. They marvelled at the clientele - old people dancing!! The hours passed and we headed home tired but buzzing from so much fun. Of course the night hadn’t ended. Back home came the debrief, the tea, the snacks and more conversation until eventually daylight came and we grudgingly dragged ourselves to bed. We just didn’t want the night to end.

They have seen it all from my DM wearing days with angry attitude to this Monaco housewife with a laundry obsession. All I felt was acceptance. They take everything in their stride. After thirty two years of friendship and over five without a reunion it was amazing how we just picked up where we left off. We were still the same girls who bonded with secret notes at school, confessional letters at Uni (mine at least!) and once in the working world sharing pitchers of attitude adjuster at Riki Tiks and drunken dinners in the newly opened Wagamamas. We laughed a lot then, we laugh a lot now.  



Thank you ladies for a wonderful weekend. For every moment of it. For reminding me who I was and who I still am! I look forward to our next reunion but until then I can keep smiling at all the crazy memories.

No comments: