Sunday 21 May 2023

Happy Birthday Papa

 I have been quiet lately about Valencia because a lot has been happening at home and it has taken me a while to process, accept and adapt. In fact I am still processing, struggling to accept and slowly, very slowly adapting. 

I still don't understand how or why but at the end of last year my dad lost his mobility. It all happened pretty quickly. I waved my parents off after they visited at the end of October and by the time I ran the marathon 6 weeks later he was barely walking 10 steps unaided. It was really hard for us and incredibly hard for him suddenly losing all his independence. 

There were new health issues and some operations and procedures. My mum has gone through hell even though she won't admit it and I am sure we don't know the half of what she has had to deal with. 

Because my parents can't travel we can't see them as often and that has been hard for all of us. I miss our breaks together in Tourrettes, Monaco and London. We all miss those easy days of just hanging out, wandering around shops, going to restaurants and generally having fun. 

I had planned to spend my dad's birthday in London with my parents but that sadly had to be cancelled. A few weeks ago  I started writing my dad's birthday card and I just couldn't finish it. It all seemed so utterly flat and underwhelming. How could a few cliched words even begin to say what I wanted? I couldn't see any other way to mark his birthday than by visiting him and giving him the much needed (for me at least!) birthday hug in person.

Last Saturday afternoon my dad's birthday surprise (me) arrived in Valencia. I think he was happy to see me! (You know he isn’t a man of many words!)

For his birthday the next day we had a car pick us up and take us to our chosen restaurant. Nothing fancy. It was lacking in ambience and probably understaffed but we had an amazing meal. Everything fell into place... our old favourite wine Belondrade and Lurton made an unexpected appearance. We had pre ordered a paella and another rice dish "arroz meloso". Everyone was relaxed. The food was good. The paella exceptional. The wine never fails to disappoint so we had a second bottle. Yes! My dad was enjoying himself and relaxing. He had wine, he ate well, his beloved Valencia football team won their match. What more could I ask for?! For me it was better than I had hoped for, not just the food and wine and win but the fact the four of us (Tia!) were out and celebrating and having fun and that was priceless. 

Happy birthday Papa! 



No comments: