Wednesday 5 April 2023

Oura Obsessed

A year ago I got an Oura ring for my birthday. It is a ring that monitors your activity, your heart rate, your exercise, body temperature, blood oxygen and your sleep. Every morning it tells me how “ready” I am for my day using the data from the previous 24 hours or so.

It has been great in some ways as I now realise that I actually move A LOT. I easily do 20,000 steps most days with or without a run. So that image of me being lazy is actually of my own making. Once I racked up 19,000 steps just cleaning the apartment! 

It also tells me I am an amazing sleeper. My sleep efficiency is excellent. When I am in bed I sleep. In fact  my only issue is that I fall asleep too quickly! Apparently it should take 15-20 minutes to fall asleep and I can usually do it in under five! This is considered a sign of over tiredness. 

Through my readiness and sleep scores I can see the things that are good for my body and not so good for my body. Annoyingly, a late meal (anything after 8pm) or a heavy meal will impact on my heart rate and body temperature. Alcohol in the evening is a guarantee that everything will deteriorate. Whilst I’m not quite ready to give up my weekend wine I am very aware of my eating hours now and hate eating late. 

On top of my usual walking and running I am also trying to do a weekly Pilates class and last week I started working out with a trainer. Wow! It hurts! I realised I haven’t used so many muscles in a very, very long time! After each session I find myself hobbling the next day with serious muscle aches. It is torturous - lifts, lunges, plank, twists, weights, burpees, sit ups and so on and so on. All I can hope is it is doing me some good!




No comments: