So, last week as I was chilling in Tourrettes I started reading some old blog posts and well, it’s been 19 years of occasional write ups. I was 32 when I started with “9 hours to kill” most days. It was a shocking (but fun) read and I thought I should definitely write more. It’s a convenient way to remember how life is and was… This 51 year old dreams of having a couple of hours to kill!
So here I am in Annecy. Husband has wanted us to visit for years and we finally made it. What can I say? Firstly, that my view as I sit and type is beyond stunning. The lake is peaceful and crystal clear, the mountains surrounding it, majestic, demanding respect and awe, the calm waters are dotted with pedalos, padel boards, schools of sailing boats and an occasional swimmer. Despite the huge amount of activity in and around the lake it doesn’t feel busy, there is enough for everyone. The lake is surrounded by huge century old plane trees that provide shade and shelter along the walk way of Avenue d’Albigny. Our apartment sits above the tree canopy and we have the view of all views. I could sit here all day watching the hours pass on this masterpiece nature has provided. It is magnificent.
I have been to beautiful lakes before but this time it is different. This is France not Italy and what I notice is how everyone is getting the most out of their surroundings. Everyone has been provided for. Along the lake there is plenty of surprisingly green lawns for people to sit around, sun bathe, pic nic, the “beaches” are free, there are plenty of seats, benches, even loungers for people to rest, watch the world go by, there is a very popular cycle path and plenty of walkway. There doesn’t appear to be anywhere exclusive. There are no fancy speed boats, yachts or boat taxis. It all feels very calm and rather wonderful. I truly wasn’t expecting anything like this but this place has a touch of the magical about it and I know we will be back.

No comments:
Post a Comment