Thursday 14 March 2024

Contentment feels like this….

I am writing this at my desk, the desk that is normally a dumping ground for everything but this afternoon I tidied my room, my drawers and my desk. Husband is out tonight and I am enjoying this space. Hey, I may even keep it tidy enough to do this again.

Today has been a good day and I can’t quite put my finger on why. It has been a satisfying, lovely, content, warm, fuzzy feeling inside kind of a day and yet strangely nothing out of the ordinary has happened. 

Well, actually something unusual did happen this morning. At the soup kitchen I was tasked with packing the sandwiches in their crates and bag. This is normally Mabel’s job, she is “the Boss” and has a very certain way of doing things. She is a formidable 87 year old who you don’t want to mess with. The last year or so I have found myself by her side wrapping sandwiches for her to pack and we work well together. Over the holidays I received an email telling me I was to take over her role while she was on holiday this week. I was slightly terrified! But today, despite being very low on volunteers, it all went well and without a hitch. Phew! 

After soup kitchen I had my usual coffee and catch up with Alison and then headed home for a bit of piano practice. My piano playing is deteriorating as I am finding it so hard. My progress is slower than ever! After a two week holiday I actually felt sorry for my teacher having to listen to me kill the tune over and over again. But I did it and hadn’t forgotten it all so that was also a relief.

The rest of the afternoon was calm, productive but in a gentle way. I didn’t feel harassed or tired or bored. As I ironed I listened to “The Power of Now” then actually tried to enjoy the time ironing, the same with the tidying, calmly, in the moment and strangely enough this just seem to add more time to my day! Eventually I read my book, listened to a podcast, prepared dinner, did some laundry, wrote my diary, did some habit planning and now am writing this post and still the day isn’t over! 

I’m sorry this isn’t an exciting post but really I feel so zen and calm right now I don’t want to break that spell!







No comments: