Thursday 30 December 2021

Laters 2021. Welcoming 2022…

Well here I am again. Two posts in two days. Amazing what you do when you quite simply can’t do anything else!

I don’t want to linger on this year anymore and have set my gaze firmly on 2022! I know it is going to be a rocky ride, but surely it can only get better? I admit there may be more cases but definitely less deaths. The vaccine may not fully protect but hopefully it is turning Covid into a cold rather than a deadly virus. 

The hardest part of this all is the loss of freedom, the loss of spontaneity and the constant awareness of this killer lurking in the shadows as we step outside the safety of our homes. Masks have to be worn in shops and public areas, sanitising equipment is available before you pick up your shopping basket or trolley, you avoid touching buttons on lifts or at crossings, someone sneezing or coughing fills you with terror, busy restaurants are a turn off, hitting the annual Christmas sales is inconceivable and yet isn’t two years of separation and isolation more painful for some people than having Covid itself? It is so hard to distinguish between being careful and being over cautious.  Didn’t I say I wasn’t going to linger on 2021? Sorry! 

So…. 2022. This is all I ask, not for Covid to disappear but for its hold to weaken. For it to be manageable and non threatening to countries, health systems and economies. Wouldn’t it be heavenly if the term “social distancing” became redundant? For public gatherings to resume and be celebrated - theatres, concerts, festivals… whatever takes your fancy! For people to dance and party recklessly - as we all have at some point in our wild youth! I long for a mask free world, where we can breathe freely and see and read each others’ faces again. For children to play with abandonment once again and schools to be mask free. To see my sister and her family again and jump on a plane without endless tests and paperwork. Who knows… it may happen. I am praying it will. 

2022, over to you! 

No comments: